Protect Workers from Dangerous Temperatures with On-Demand Training
With many locations experiencing the hottest time of the year, it’s important to take the right steps to protect workers from serious health risks posed by exposure to extreme temperatures, such as heat stroke and heat exhaustion. The VelocityEHS Working in Extreme Temperatures training course – part of our On-Demand Training course library – makes it easy to provide workers with a helpful overview on how to stay safe from both extreme heat and cold. Read on to learn more.
Extreme Temperatures on the Job – Key Facts:
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), exposure to extreme environmental heat or cold sickened nearly 2,600 U.S. workers—and cost more than 30 workers their lives—during 2017 alone.
- Employers are required to protect workers from extreme temperature hazards on the job, as outlined in OSHA’s General Duty Clause as well as related standards such as the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) standard.
- OSHA emphasizes worker protection from environmental heat with its “Water. Rest. Shade.” campaign, which provides educational materials and important facts related to heat illness prevention, symptoms and first aid measures. It also provides the OSHA-NIOSH Heat Safety Tool mobile app, which features real-time heat index and hourly forecasts, specific to your location, as well as occupational safety and health recommendations from OSHA and NIOSH.
Simplify Safety and Compliance with On-Demand Training
- recognizing symptoms of heat and cold-related illnesses
- factors that affect the body’s ability to withstand temperature extremes
- steps to reduce the risk of illness or injury
- first aid measures for heat and cold-related illnesses
- precautions regarding the use of personal protective equipment in extreme temperature environments