What is Permit to Work?
Permit to Work is a systematic process used to authorize controlled work in nonstandard, potentially hazardous conditions. If you’ve ever hired a contractor to do work in your home or business, you should be familiar with the concept. The process includes risk assessment, the establishment of safety protocol, communication, and oversight to minimize Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability risks.
Why Do Permit to Work?
Permit to Work provides a systematic disciplined approach to assessing the risks of a job and specifying the precautions to be taken when performing work. No matter the industry, a Permit to Work System should include processes to:
- Determine areas and types of work considered hazardous
- Identify required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Identify the scope of work and associated risks
- Designate work supervisors
- Designate people to conduct the work safely
- Ensure proper training and instruction
- Communicate protocol to on-site or off-site workers daily
- Establish a protocol for Simultaneous Operations (SIMOPS)
- Monitor and audit Permit to Work systems
How VelocityEHS Can Help
The VelocityEHS Control of Work Permit-to-Work module drives 100% compliance levels through workforce qualification checks and automatic identification of non-compliant contractors. Ensure full control of all Permit To Work activity, especially around permits being accurately completed.
Permit to Work is part of our Control of Work Solution. To see the full set of features, click here.
|Contractor Self-Serve Portal
|Induction & Orientation
|Dashboards & Reports|