What is COSHH?
COSHH stands for 'Control of Substances Hazardous to Health'. COSHH is a set of regulations put in place to protect workers from ill health when working with specific substances and materials.
The ‘substances’ part of COSHH includes any form of hazardous material, including liquids, solids, fumes, dust, vapours, fibres, nano-particles, mists, gases and biological agents such as bacteria and viruses. The ‘hazardous’ part includes damage to lungs, skin, nose, mouth, genes, internal organs, eyes or central nervous system as well as the risk of injury due to combustion or explosion.
Why do COSHH?
COSHH is the law that requires employers to control substances that are hazardous to health. Breach of COSHH regulations by an employer or employee is a crime, punishable by an unlimited fine.
You can prevent or reduce workers exposure to hazardous substances by:
- finding out what the health hazards are
- deciding how to prevent harm to health
- providing control measures to reduce harm to health
- making sure they are used
- keeping all control measures in good working order
- providing information, instruction, and training for employees and others
- providing monitoring and health surveillance in appropriate cases
- planning for emergencies.
How VelocityEHS Can Help
The VelocityEHS Control of Work module is an electronic system developed taking consideration of REACH regulations and which aims to ensure that companies managing any chemicals or hazardous substances do so in a safe and compliant manner.
To see the full set of features, click here.
|Complete Visibility of all Chemicals
|Access Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and Chemical Manufacturer Information
|Standardize Assessment of Chemicals
|Mitigate & Eliminate Contamination Risks
|Improve Your Corporate Social Responsibilty|