Junior DBA – Cloud Ops, Ireland
Posted on November 17, 2022
At VelocityEHS we’re all about helping companies around the world promote a safer work environment for their employees. We develop innovative on-demand (cloud-computing technology) safety and compliance management solutions that enable our customers, environmental health and safety (EH&S) professionals in a wide range of industries, to work faster and more cost-effectively in administering their overall safety compliance programs.
With the European HQ situated in Cork, VelocityEHS is much more than just a place to work. VelocityEHS has cultivated a unique environment where success is both a journey and an everyday occurrence. We work hard and play hard because we love what we do. We place a high value on teamwork, and at the same time, look for individuals who are self-motivated and willing to take risk to help the company advance.
Note: this position will be run from 2pm to 10pm Irish time as this will correspond with US working hours (EST)
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Functions Cloud OPs:
- Resolve server problems of varying complexity with an understanding of the urgency in a production environment
- Provide Cloud engineering for AWS and Azure Infrastructure
- Manage SQL patching with our MDM and agent-based management systems
- Monitor servers and applications to ensure high availability
- Create and maintain system, implementation, and SOP documentation
- Provide out of normal work hours support for staff in multiple time zones and geo locations
- Create IT processes, SOPs, and automate workflows
- Assist the CloudOps Team in assuring ongoing SOC and GDPR compliance
Essential Functions Junior DBA:
- Provide database administration for AWS [OA2] and Azure Infrastructure
- Monitor the performance of database systems
- Monitor and maintain database storage resources
- Monitor SQL Agent jobs
- SQL Server Installation, Upgrades, Migrations, and Configuration
- Install database software service packs and cumulative updates as necessary
- Maintain database documentation as required
- Maintain and administer database security access
- Perform Ad-hoc database backups and restores
- Troubleshoot and resolve database connectivity issues
- Follow Change Management processes to implement database configuration changes
- Follow Problem Management processes to troubleshoot and resolve recurring issues
- Proactively monitor and respond to MSSQL database Alerts.
- Occasional On-call requirements to ensure 24 x 7 support of database operations
Skills & Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 1 year of SQL DBA Experience.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent troubleshooting and documentation skills
- Ability to prioritise daily work derived from both dynamic sources (Helpdesk Support) and static sources (Scheduled Projects) to accomplish meeting project deadlines while providing timely user support.
- Experience with aspects of AWS, Azure, Machines, and MS SQL Database/RDS Experience
- Experience in aspects of use, installation, and maintenance of Microsoft Windows Server.
- Comfortable creating new IT automation with PowerShell, and other scripting tools and platforms.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP and related components such DNS, DHCP, and WINS
- Working with global Production development teams to deploy scheduled application releases.
- Restoring/backing up database as required with the Development and Production teams.
Nice to have *but not essential):
- Basic IIS web server administration
- Secrets Management (at least one of the following:- AWS Secret Manager, Vault, Docker Secrets, or similar)
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in cloud Environments.
- Optimize SQL Code as necessary
- Experience with Terraform, Ansible, or other orchestration & DSC technologies.
What we offer:
- Private Health Insurance
- Pension contributions
- Learning assistance
- flexible working
- Annual leave + personal and wellbeing days
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, being a member of the travelling community or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace.