Highlights from VelocityEHS | MSDSonline Earth Day Sustainability Symposium
In honor of Earth Day, this year, VelocityEHS offices took part in a week-long series of events and activities focused on learning about our impact on our planet, and ways we can get more active in our environment and communities.
The week concluded with a Sustainability Symposium where leaders from forward thinking and sustainability-focused organizations shared the ways they’re working to protect the planet, and opportunities for individuals and companies to get involved. Here is video of the Sustainability Symposium.*
The prestigious discussion panel included:
- Mike Stopka – (Video Timeline - 2:05) Sustainable Buildings Lead at the Delta Institute
- John McIlwain – (Video Timeline – 14:45) Vice President for Advancement at Aspire Coffeeworks
- Katie Welge – (Video Timeline – 24:02) Managing Director at Aspire Coffeeworks
- Paul Cusimano – (Video Timeline – 27:58) Managing Director, Development at the Center for Neighborhood Technology (CNT)
- Brian Imus – (Video Timeline – 43:24) Executive Director at Illinois Green
- Denise Corkery – (Video Timeline – 57:43) Chicago Group President of the Sierra Club
- Jude Rollins – (Video Timeline – 1:16:27) Consultant at the Beautycounter
We want to thank our panelists for giving us the opportunity to learn more about how their companies and organizations are making a difference, and for providing insight on how we can be better environmental and sustainability stewards.
At VelocityEHS | MSDSonline, it’s not enough that we just make the industry’s leading environmental, health, safety (EHS) and sustainability solutions, but we also strive to make environmental stewardship and sustainability the core of everything we do. Our other Earth Week activities included:
- E-Waste Drive during which employees were encouraged to bring in old and unwanted personal electronic devices that the office properly disposed of.
- theMART Disposal Tour where employees learned about how the Merchandise Mart – one of the biggest buildings in Chicago and home of the VelocityEHS | MSDSonline company headquarters – handles its diverse waste streams, like construction waste, hazardous waste, universal waste, compost, recyclables and e-waste, and more.
- Community Clean-up around Oakville, Canada where local employees spent the day picking up litter.
- Small Space/Urban Gardening Lunch & Learn with Bill Shores, Owner of Urban Edible which produces specialty crops for high end Chicago restaurants including the Rick Bayless restaurants, Topolobampo, Xoco, and Frontera Grill.
- Sustainable Fact of the Day emails which provide quick information about sustainable efforts and tips to employees company-wide.
While Earth Day is just one day out of the year, the lessons learned from it are ones we can all work harder to adopt into our lives each and every day.
*The views and opinions expressed in this presentation are solely those of the speakers and do not represent the opinions or views of VelocityEHS, its management or employees.